I found this recipe and love it.
INGREDIENTS & SUPPLIES
8 cups of milk
1/2 cup yogurt with live cultures
- Pour 8 cups of milk (or 16 cups which is 1 gallon if you’re doubling the recipe) into a large crockpot. Set to LOW for 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn crockpot off and let sit with lid on for 3 hours.
- Add 1/2 cup yogurt (or 1 cup for a double recipe), place lid back on, and wrap a bath towel around the crockpot. You’re goal is to make a dark, insulated environment for the live cultures to exponentially grow.
- Let crockpot sit covered (with lid and towel), not heating for 8-12 hours. I usually try to start the yogurt process by 3pm in the afternoon so this 8-12 hour step happens overnight.
- In the morning, your milk will look like the top photo above – YOGURT!
- Line a strainer with a cheesecloth and strain yogurt to desired consistency. Without straining your yogurt will be a drinkable consistency – perfect for smoothies. But, if you’re wanting to spoon eat it or make it more like “normal” you’ll want to strain it for 15-30 minutes.