I have been wanting a little baseball cap for little Kenter for some time now but couldn’t seem to find one so of course the option is to crochet one. I found a patter online and tweeked it a little to get what i wanted, 🙂 I saw a few patterns that showed how to make the cap with ridges as you go but thought it would be fun to change the color of them.
This had fits 15 inch head. For an infant size follow the same pattern but on step 2 dc only 8 instead of 10.
hdc-half double crochet
sl st-slip stitch
st or sts – stitch(es)
For this hat I used Red Heart Yarn and used a double strand pulling from each end with an H Hook. If you need to make it bigger, simply add an increase row after row 4 until you reach the desired circumference, and then dc in each stitch down.
1. Create a magic ring.
2. Ch2, dc 10 in ring. sl st
3. Ch 2, 2dc in each st. sl st
4. Ch 2, *1 dc, 2dc in next* repeat to end. sl st
5. Ch 2, 1 dc in each, sl st.
6-8 Repeat row 5.
9. (change color,) ch 2, 1 hdc in each, sl st.
10. ( change color)ch 2, 1 sc in each, sl st.
11. The brim. fold hat in half to get your markers. mark 4 stitches in from the edges. (I had 14 stitches in between to work with. You want your first row to be the middle 5.) Count stitches in from the left marker.
6sc (working in the bars on the last row of cap),
12. turn 6sc, 1sc in next bar on cap
13. turn 7sc, 1sc in next bar on cap
14 turn 8 sc, 1sc in next bar on cap
15- (continue turning and adding a single crochet to the next 2 bars on cap until you have reached markers.)
16- continue sc around hat.
1. make a magic ring, leave string to tie onto middle of had.
3. Place circle over the middle circle on cap. pull strings through and tie off,
4. Then I counted 40 stitches around the hat and placed a marker ever 5 stitches starting with the front center.
5. Start blue at top on middle button. ch 12, sl st at first marker, *ch 6, sl st at next marker, ch 12 sl at top middle button, ch 12, sl st at next marker, * repeat 3 times, ch 6, sl st at last marker, ch 12, sl st in middle button, tie off.
6. (border of hat.) I used a needle/safety pin. thread the pin/needle. Insert needle through the top of stitch 2, continue around hat. Tie off.