Sharing Time June 2014 Week 2
IDENTIFY THE DOCTRINE (singing a song): Show the children a picture of the temple nearest where you live. Invite them to sing the first verse of “I Love to See the Temple” (CS, 95). Point out the phrase “I’m going there someday,” and ask the children to listen for why Church members go to the temple as you sing together the second verse of the song. Discuss their answers and emphasize that temple ordinances make it possible for families to be together forever.
ENCOURAGE APPLICATION (drawing a picture): Give each child a piece of paper with a simple drawing of a temple on it (click here for temple drawing). Invite the children to draw their family members holding hands near the temple. Encourage them to share their pictures with their families at home.
- To feel the holy spirit to listen and to pray:
- ask them what this line tells us about the temple. (perhaps that we must be reverent so we can be close to our father in heaven)
- I’ll covenant with my father, I”ll promise to obey:
- Ask the children what a covenant is. (explain that a handshake represents a covenant because it is a symbol that we agree to do something)
- Ask the children what we are promising… (to obey heavenly fathers commandments)
- For the temple is a holy place, where we are sealed together:
- Ask the children what being sealed together means or how we are sealed. (explain that because we are sealed through priesthood authority and this binds us together for eternity… perhaps compare sealing to a lock or the binding on a book that holds the pages together.)
- As a child of god, I’ve learned this truth, a family is forever:
- Ask the children what truth we’ve learned. (finish up by explaining that because we are sealed in the temple our families are forever.)
- I go here to feel the holy spirit
- I go here to Listen to my Heavenly Father
- I go here to pray
- This is the house of God
- This is a place of love and beauty
- I need to prepare my self while I’m young to enter here.
- I will one day make covenants with my father here
- This is a very holy place
- In this place we are sealed together
- Because we have these our families can be forever